Cell Phones and Electronic Devices
Middle school students will be permitted to carry cell phones and electronic devices (MP3 players, pagers, gaming devices, etc) on school property during the normal school day; however, all devices must be TURNED OFF during instructional time unless a teacher provides verbal consent for usage. Electronic devices may be used en route to or from school on school buses, but must be used with headphones and no verbal conversation.
Cell phones/personal devices will be confiscated for the following violations:
- Use during instructional time (including restroom breaks or other reasons a student may be outside the classroom)
- Use while participating in school-sponsored or school-related activities (on or off campus) during the instructional day and/or while instruction is being conducted.
- Audible tones/noise. Cell phones/electronic devices must be powered off during instructional time, not just placed on vibrate or silent.
- Using a cell phone/electronic device to illegally enhance academic performance or to engage in any other illegal or unethical manner including audio or video taping without consent.
Anything recorded on school property, whether posted publicly or not, may be confiscated and the student may be subject to disciplinary action. Students found to be in violation of this policy will be subject to the consequences listed below and additional disciplinary action up to and including expulsion:
- 1st offense: Device will be confiscated. Parent must pick up device and sign contract.
- 2nd offense: Device will be confiscated for 5 days. Parent and student conference required for device return.
- 3rd offense: Device will be confiscated for 30 days. Parent and student conference required for device return.
Notice to parents: Please do not contact or communicate with students during instructional time via cell phones. This is a violation of the Code of Conduct. All emergency contact must go through the main office.
SCHOOL PERSONNEL AND/OR ADMINISTRATION ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY CELL PHONE OR ELECTRONIC DEVICE BROUGHT ONTO SCHOOL PROPERTY.